The action is heating up! After months of testing and planning, we’re excited to announce the official launch of our next vertical: Gaming.
We’re really excited about the massive opportunities available in this vertical. It’s ripe for disruption by smart affiliates (like you) who will bring an assertive approach to attracting gamers.
The digital playground is a wide, wide world - and it continues to grow. Before you dive right in, let us show you the controls behind this opportunity-rich vertical.
Note: It’s important to recognize the distinction between “Gaming” and “iGaming”. We had a lot of fun debating this internally, but we think you’ll find it to be quite clear: Gaming offers promote popular online games, while iGaming involves betting, slots and other casino-style offers.
More than just a game
We’re expanding into Gaming for a few reasons - and not just because we love games ourselves:
- You asked for it. We listen closely to our affiliates, and when we see a lot of interest in a niche or vertical, we take it seriously. After months of behind-the-scenes testing and bringing on dedicated experts, we are ready to provide the valuable Gaming opportunities you’ve been asking for.It’s an ever-growing industry. The most recent significant study found that the Gaming industry is worth $116 billion, an increase of 10.7% over the previous year. Even optimistic estimates are being crushed, and the sudden rise of some games (think Minecraft, Fortnite, World of Tanks) makes it perfectly suited for affiliates to ride the pop culture wave.
- It’s an ever-growing industry. The most recent significant study found that the Gaming industry is worth $116 billion, an increase of 10.7% over the previous year. Even optimistic estimates are being crushed, and the sudden rise of some games (think Minecraft, Fortnite, World of Tanks) makes it perfectly suited for affiliates to ride the pop culture wave.
- Margins are high. Once you get the formula down, it’s easy to create successful campaigns consistently. We’ve explored a broad range of offers and have identified the ones that not only convert, but have high potential for increased earnings through optimization.
- The potential to scale is huge. We’re always looking at the long-term, and Gaming was an obvious top contender for our next move because of its limitless potential. Not only are there many types of games, there are large caps and huge audiences to captivate. Once you’re in, the sky's the limit.
These points show the stability and opportunity in the Gaming industry, but there’s one more very important reason we chose Gaming:
- Anyone who runs our current offers can find success in Gaming. The offers are easy to test and the campaigns will likely be similar to what you’re used to as an Advidi affiliate. It’s not just a valuable vertical, it’s viable for you and your business. Your experience in other verticals gives you unique potential - we’re confident that you will bring the sort of perspective that the Gaming industry currently lacks.
Sounds exciting, right? To help you decide if it’s your next clever move, let’s take a closer look at typical Gaming offers and how they’re promoted.
How to game Gaming: An overview of offers and flows
The Gaming vertical is broad and dense, ranging from the most popular games in the world to niche-based games that attract small but dedicated followings. We can begin to understand the vertical better by looking at some of the games commonly promoted.
Types of offers
Games are played on Desktop and Mobile/Tablet. We’ve chosen to target Desktop games, which allows us to place 100% of our optimization efforts on just a few variables with laser-like focus.
(Note: We’re not ignoring the Mobile side - something is in the works there, too - if you want early access, ask your AM.)
There are many, many Desktop games available to promote. You’ve likely heard of many of them, but it’s important to learn the specifics of the game you’re promoting - they can attract very different audiences. Let’s review the two main types of Desktop games:
Browser-based: Simple and easy. Browser-based games are played directly through any web browser without requiring a download. They convert well because players can load the client, create a character and start playing within a few minutes. Registration is usually simple and easy. Offers usually convert after successful registration and a predetermined amount of time in-game.
Downloads: Captivating and in-depth. These games require the user to download the game to their computer. While the extra step can affect conversions, the players of these games often have higher value - by downloading the client, they feel extra commitment and will usually spend more time in the game. In addition, the download allows for more immersive games that go beyond the limitations of a browser. Some games use a special download client (think Steam), while others are directly installed.
Type of games
Although there are thousands of games available on Desktop, they all fall under one of two categories:
- F2P (Free to Play): These games can be played without paying anything up front. The game developers make money on in-game purchases.
- P2P (Pay to Play): These games require an initial purchase. After that, additional purchases may be possible, but the majority of income usually comes from the initial sales.
Within these categories, there are many types of games. Popular categories include:
- MMORPG (“Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games”)
- Strategy/Empire Building
To become successful in Gaming, you’ll need to learn the various features, game types and genres that keep players glued to the screen (and hopped up on adrenaline).
There are plenty of ways to earn money with Gaming offers. These are the most common flows, with all falling under either SOI (Single Opt-In) or DOI (Double Opt-In):
- CPL (Cost Per Lead): Converts after the user completes signup.
- CPAU/CPA (Cost Per Active User/Cost Per Action): Converts after the user completes signup and then performs a number of actions - usually they must enter the game, create a character, finish the tutorial and reach a certain level.
- CPS/CPO (Cost Per Sale / Cost Per Order): Converts after the user purchases the game.
- CPI (Cost Per Install): Only applies to mobile. (We’ll come back to this in a future article…)
Naturally, each game will have its own flow depending on advertiser needs. The typical funnel for these flows looks similar, with some minor tweaks. The goal is always to bring in top-quality users - whether it’s an initial lead or a full purchase.
Everyone loves games! You can find players in any country, but of course, some GEOs offer significantly higher payouts and scalability.
The main GEOs are:
- North America - US/CA: Huge market, English speaking, a deep love of gaming. This is the top echelon for most Gaming affiliates and the biggest Gaming market. No need to say more!
- Europe - UK/DACH/FR/IT/ES/PT, Benelux, Nordics, Eastern Europe: Broad, diverse and full of serious gamers who love Desktop games. The games are often translated and available in multiple countries with similar-thinking gamers.
- Latin America - BR/MX/AR/CL/PE/CO: Another region with lots of people who own Desktop computers and love games. With only two languages, you can speak to all the markets in these countries, and interest is on the rise. At last report (in 2016, so these numbers are bigger now) 51% of the population plays online games; 58% of those gamers spend money on Gaming; and Desktop games took 34% of the market.
Payouts for Gaming range significantly depending mostly on the conversion flow, but most are between $0.50 and $10, so pretty standard for affiliate marketing.
The name of the game here is steady, consistent money with high capacity for scaling, and the payouts are perfect for it. You might not hit a massive “buy-a-Lambo-overnight” campaign, but you’ll also avoid the dips and frustrations that some other verticals occasionally face.
Top traffic sources
Many of the traffic sources you’re already familiar with are perfectly suited for Gaming traffic. The most successful sources include:
- Media buying
- Social media
- Display, Video, Pop up/under
Of course, there are many other creative ways to attract players. If you’re considering Gaming, check in with your AM to discuss the many possibilities.
Game on - start running Gaming with Advidi today!
Our Gaming offers are optimized and ready for your campaigns. We have exclusive resources, plenty of insights and all the advice you need to find fast success.
For those of you not in our network, we invite you to sign up right now:
For those of you already in our network, running Gaming offers is simple: tell your AM you’re interested and we’ll get you the latest offers, plus sign you up for the weekly newsletter. There are plenty of opportunities for those who get in early - act now and we’ll help you overcome the mini-bosses to reach the top level of Gaming!